AMP Global Youth is seeking new candidates for our Board of Directors to help guide the organization’s rapid growth in the field of global citizenship. Specifically, we are eager to connect to candidates with experience in social entrepreneurship, youth programming, fundraising, and social change writ large.
Interested candidates are encouraged to review the full job description below. To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com by January 31, 2023.
About AMP Global Youth
AMP Global Youth (https://ampglobalyouth.org/) is a youth-driven network that amplifies the story, voice, and power of youth and young adults, from high school students to young professionals. Born out of a critical moment – the attacks on 9/11 – which saw our world changed forever, we have spent more than a decade building the ability among youth and young adults to understand and take action around the biggest global challenges facing us today.
Founded as Americans for Informed Democracy, our mission is to amplify the story, voice, and power of global youth. Our vision is a peaceful, just, and sustainable world shaped by the unique power, energy and creativity of youth.
AMP has reached well over 100,000 students and young professionals through conferences, training events and campaigns over the past 19 years, and we are just getting started. We reach over 10,000 unique visitors/month through our website alone.
Our focus on global citizenship and preparing the next generation of young global leaders is more critical and attractive than ever before. Our programming has doubled in size most recently through the expansion in the number of students participating in our Global Scholar leadership incubator program over the last two years.
In 2020, over 200 youth completed intensive high-level training programs with AMP. All of our alumni indicated they would recommend Global Scholar to a friend. Here is what an alum said about the Global Scholar experience:
“Global Scholar was a life-changing experience. We learned about many different global issues facing our generation, but we also learned about how the youth of today, as global citizens, can make a positive change in our world and actually work to put an end to these global issues. Being in DC and visiting embassies, NGOs, think-tanks, and others was not only exciting, but they showed us how diverse the field of international development really is. I never thought I could become so close with people over the span of two weeks, but I ended up meeting some of the most driven, curious, and friendly people ever! Global Scholar exceeded my expectations in every way, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.”
In recent years our main programming has included:
- Global Scholar, our ongoing two-week residential global leadership accelerator for high school students
- Power Up Global Leadership conference
- Spring Forward Workshop Series
- 90 Second Power Up Video Series (IGTV, Tiktok, Youtube)
- What Youth Need to Know Video Series (IGTV, Tiktok, Youtube)
Board of Directors Overview:
The AMP Global Youth Board of Directors may include up to 15 Directors who provide strategic advice and fiscal oversight to the organization. Directors contribute to the achievement of the AMP mission, support AMP financially (including recruiting donations), and bring skills and insights that strengthen our community. Board members agree to serve on the board for a two-year, renewable term.
As a group, the Board of Directors is responsible for:
- Approving and promoting the vision, strategy, budget and policies of AMP, as defined by our youth leaders and network.
- Mobilize resources that AMP needs to operate successfully, in particular financial contributions and connections to individuals and organizations aligned with our work. Board members may individually also offer technical, sectoral or other support as well.
- Overseeing the fiscal health and operations of the organization.
- Identifying and selecting officers and successor members of the board.
Individually, each Director agrees to:
- Participate in the Board’s three virtual meetings, annually.
- Read and review updates and plans from the board chair and provide feedback.
- Serve actively on at least one board committee and/or take on at least one specific job or responsibility.
- Participate in one or more aspects of individual and organizational fundraising for the organization annually.
- Support the vision and mission of the organization. Keep the faith, stay excited, contribute actively, and generally just be in it to win it.
From time to time, Directors may also be asked to:
- Attend special events on behalf of the organization.
- Contribute time, feedback and energy to special projects.
Time commitment: Estimated at 20-30 hours/year
- Attend virtual board meeting three times a year: 6 hours/year.
- Support tasks, provide feedback, participate on committees: approximately 2-5 hours/month.
Specific board roles include but are not limited to:
- Chairperson: Operational and strategic role.
- Treasurer: Works with the Chairperson and Finance Advisor to finalize the budget, oversee accounts, process payments, and pay relevant taxes.
- Secretary: Takes board meeting notes, gathers updates, schedules meetings, circulates meeting reminders, etc.
- Fundraising Committee: Supports annual fundraiser. Researches and applies for grants.
- Diversity & Inclusion Committee: Encourages recruitment, policies, and programs consistent with the organization’s commitment to equity and inclusion.
To ensure equitable access to this experience, and recognizing that skills and wisdom can be gained in many ways, we do not have minimum age, educational or professional requirements other than experience or interest in empowering youth to play a role as global leaders and citizens. We encourage anyone who believes they can be helpful in this role to apply, in particular those representing groups traditionally left out of leadership roles and spaces.
TO APPLY: Email a short statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact Karen@ampglobalyouth.org with any questions.